To the world, Sushant Singh Rajput was a young star blessed with fame and fortune. Little did anyone know a life so precious would end so soon. Indian actor Sushant Singh Rajput was found dead in his 6th floor Bandra (West) apartment on the morning of June 14, 2020. “Sushant Singh Rajput has committed suicide, Mumbai Police is investigating,” DCP Pranay Ashok, spokesperson Mumbai Police said. Today depression and suicide claims the life of Sushant Singh Rajput a young Indian Bollywood actor.
The uncanny signs of depression
On June 3, Sushant had shared a black and white collage of his picture and that of his mother on Instagram and wrote, “Blurred past evaporating from teardrops. Unending dreams carving an arc of smile. And a fleeting life, negotiating between the two…” Was he trying to say something?
Sushant Singh Rajput had also earlier penned a poem in memory of his late mother. He had written, “As long as you were, I was. Now just in your memories I come alive. Like a shadow, Just a flicker. Time doesn’t move here. It’s beautiful, It’s forever…Do you remember? You promised that you would be with me forever, and I promised you that I would keep smiling no matter what. It seems we both were wrong mother…”
On June 10th Sushant Singh Rajput commented, “It’s such devastating news. My deepest condolences to Disha’s family and friends. May your soul rest in peace,” on hearing his former manager Disha Salian committed suicide by jumping off the 14th floor of an apartment in Malad.
Was this a trigger? Or was the void left behind by his Mother that led him to commit suicide? Was Sushant suffering from severe depression? Why did none of his friends see the signs? Was he being treated for depression? Was his medication not enough? It’s difficult to get all the answers. Probably he has taken them with him and we will never know the truth. All we will ever know is ‘Depression the silent killer disease’ has consumed yet another young life. Depression a common mental disorder today that affects more than 264 million people globally. Sadly it is also one of the causes that leads to 800,000 people committing suicide every year.
A Beautiful Life
Sushant Singh Rajput the Indian Bollywood and Television actor was born on January 21, 1986 in Patna. An engineer-to-be turned to act as he started participating in theatre and dance while studying in college in Delhi. While still in engineering college, Rajput enrolled in Shiamak Davar’s dance classes and Barry John’s drama classes. Here, he found his passion for acting. An intelligent boy and also the winner of the National Olympiad in Physics dropped out of his Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical Engineering) class in Delhi University of Engineering after completing 3 out of 4 years to pursue his Bollywood dream.
Rajput moved to Mumbai and joined Ekjute theatre group managed by Nadira Babbar, where he honed his acting skills. His very first step to fame was a TV ad for Nestle Munch. From there he moved to acting in television serials. His debut show in 2008, was Star Plus’s romantic serial Kis Desh Mein Hai Mera Dil. What followed was an award-winning performance in Zee TV’s drama serial Pavitra Rishta. In May 2010, Rajput participated in the dance reality show Zara Nachke Dikha and later in December 2010, in Jhalak Dhikhhla Jaa -4, another dance-based reality show. In 2013, as he entered Bollywood with the movie Kai Po Che based on Chetan Bhagat’s novel, The 3 Mistakes of My Life, a Star was Born! He then went on to act in Shuddh Desi Romance (2013), PK (2014), and Detective Byomkesh Bakshy (2015). Yet it was the portrayal of Mahendra Singh Dhoni, India’s favourite cricketer in 2016’s, sports film – M.S.Dhoni: The Untold Story, that won him praise from fans and critics alike. This movie also got Sushant Singh Rajput his first nomination for the Filmfare Award for Best Actor.
He continued to show his acting prowess with commercially successful releases Raabta (2017), Kedarnath (2018) and Chhichhore (2019).
What are winnings worth if it’s not worth living?
Sushant Singh Rajput was nominated and also won numerous awards. They incude:
- 2020 Screen Awards Nominee Best Actor Critics Chhichhore
- 2017 Scree Awards Winner Best Actor Critics M.S. Dhoni: The Untold Story
- 2017 Film Fare Awards Nominee Best Actor M.S. Dhoni: The Untold Story
- 2017 Zee Cine Awards Viewers Choice Award Nominee Best Actor M.S. Dhoni: The Untold Story
- 2017 Zee Cine Awards Critics Choice Award Nominee Best Actor M.S. Dhoni: The Untold Story
- 2017 International Indian Film Academy Popular Award Nominee Best Actor in a LeDING Role M.S. Dhoni: The Untold Story
- 2017 Filmfare Glamour and Style Award Winner Future of Fashion (Male)
- 2016 Filmfare Glamour and Style Award Winner Youth Icon of the Year (Male)
- 2015 GQ Awards In
- dia Winner Breakthrough Talent of the Year
- 2014 Screen Awards Winner Most Promising Debut Actor Kai po che!
- 2014 Apsara Film Producers Awards Winner Best Male Debut Kai po Che
- 2014 Apsara Film Producers Awards Nomination Best Actor Kai po Che
- 2014 International Indian Film Academy Nominee Best Actor in a Leading RoleKai po che
- 2014 Bollywood Hungama Surfers’ Choice Movie Awards Nominee Best Debutant
- Kai po che
- 2011 Gold Awards Winner Best Actor Popular Pavitra Rishta
- 2010 BIG Star Entertainment Awards, India Winner Most Entertaining Television Actor Pavitra Rishta
- 2010 Indian Televison Academy Awards, India Winner Best Actor Popular Pavitra Rishta
The philanthropist Sushant Singh Rajput was actively involved in social causes like,
- Sushant4Education to help young students.
- NITI Aayog, the policy think-tank of the Indian government, to promote the Women Entrepreneurship Platform (WEP)
With more projects on hand like Drive, Chanda Mama Door Ke, Dil Bechara (a remake of The Fault in Our Stars) his fans were eagerly looking forward to these releases. He was also set to essay 12 real-life characters, including political strategist Chanakya, Rabindranath Tagore and APJ Abdul Kalam in a biopic series on Stories of India.
When Stars Above Shine
We are brought up in a society where we are taught to ‘face the world bravely’. Really is all that robustness worth it? Is it difficult to reveal what pains us because of social stigma? Can real emotions hide behind fame and fortune? It’s time we give mental illness a closer look. Depression is real and maybe lurking right at our doorstep. Keep checking on your loved ones lest you lose them too. Sushant Singh Rajput you are more than just a Bollywood star, today you are the brightest star in the sky who has touched a million hearts and left behind footprints for us see. Hardly did I get time to mourn Irfan Khan when now I have to say to another – Good Bye Friend, I’ll always be your fan.